County Training Programme 2019-2020
The aim of the County Training Programme is to bring together all of the best players within each age group across Sussex for regular training sessions. The Programme runs for a whole tennis year from September to July, creating development opportunities that are highly challenging and motivational for our Sussex players. Ultimately, we believe that by working together to encourage and foster a sense of a joined up team, we can help raise the level of all of our players collectively and keep many more juniors playing the game in Sussex.
The County Training Programme is open to any player from 8u up to 18u. The Programme currently consists of;
- County Training Squads
- County Training Strength & Conditioning Sessions
- County Training Camps
County Training Squads
This year we have increased from 13 squads to 18 squads, ensuring that every year group now has its own squad, creating and additional 60 more County junior players. Every player selected on the County Training Programme is invited to attend 10 County Squad Sessions over the course of the year. The sessions take place across a network of hosting clubs and are run by the County Age Group Captains.
County Training Strength & Conditioning Sessions
These weekly sessions are for 10u-12u, 14u & 16u-18u age groups to ensure that every player in the County Training Programme is given an opportunity to develop their physical and athletic skills, alongside their tennis, should they require it. These sessions take place at the BACA facility in Falmer.
County Training Camps (One Day)
These camps are for every player in the County Training Programme aged 10u and upwards to experience a full day’s extensive training programme. Each age group will have 5 one day camps for this 2019-2020 County Training Programme year, one during every half a term of school, during school time. The focus of the camps will be to bring the best players from across Sussex together to create a highly challenging and motivational training environment and experience. All of these training camps will take place at the Virgin Active Brighton club throughout the year (thanks to their very kind support with indoor courts) and will be staffed by Tennis Sussex County Coaches.
County Training Programme – Key Concepts
- Open Days that run alongside the first County Training Squad (in the Girls 8u-10u & Boys 8u-12u age groups) so that all our younger players (playing in competitions) aged 6yrs – 12yrs have the opportunity to attend a session and then possibly be selected into the programme.
- County Training Squads for every year band. There will no longer be any gaps along the pathway at 11u, 13u and 15u where players yoyo in and out of the programme and potentially get disheartened.
- For this first year, every player involved in last year’s programme has been offered a County Training Squad place or a chance to attend a County Training Open Day for this year.
- Younger players aged 8u-12u attend the County Training Squads with their own tennis year / peer group (YOB) and only play up in rare exceptional circumstances. This helps create a genuine sense of a ‘team’ feel by keeping younger players together at the beginning of their tennis journeys. It also builds stronger layers of Sussex players across every year at the base of the programme.
- Players aged 14u-16u can play up (if their ranking at the beginning of the year in September qualifies for them to be selected for an older age-group).
- The County Training Programme operates from different venues to help accommodate us with the ‘precious’ court time that we require for the different age group squads, strengthening the relationship with a wider network of clubs.
- The programme is aligned with the new ‘LTA Age Groups’ that come into effect from 1st April 2020. By applying these changes to our selections now, we have helped our players prepare for the changes coming to their competitions and have kept each squad together as a group with the same County Coach for a whole year (finishing July 2020). This will also help with the County Cup team selections / preparations that take place from March 2020 onwards.