Dear Team Captain,
Following the statement from the LTA last week and by the Prime Minster last Monday evening (23rd March) along with discussion within Tennis Sussex we wanted to get in touch with you about how this affects the Sussex Doubles Leagues for the Summer 2020 season.
The absolute priority for Tennis Sussex is to ensure the welfare of all players and their families and the need for everyone in Britain needs to be protecting the health of the nation, with a requirement to comply with the Government’s guidance and staying at home.
Following the Prime Minister’s announcement that all tennis facilities and courts should be closed, and tennis coaching and activity should be put on hold with immediate effect.
As a result, the LTA have now extended the cancellation of all LTA staged and LTA approved competitions up to and including 31 May 2020. This would include all Wilson Sandford Doubles League as well as all Seniors and Mixed Doubles events.
Based on this new date we can update you with the following:
- All Wilson Sandford Doubles Leagues are now cancelled. Even, if social distancing measures were to be relaxed at the end of May, we would still have lost two months of the season. In addition, it was felt that for some, Tennis would not be a priority this Summer. Therefore, by cancelling the Wilson Sandford Doubles leagues we remove any anxiety for Clubs and/or individuals over not fulfilling fixtures and any penalties that might have incurred.
- It is obviously a very difficult and uncertain time for everyone at the moment, however, if there are parts of the Tennis Sussex League competition that could possibly take place this year it is the Mixed Doubles and Seniors Events which do not contain any promotion or relegation and could be extended beyond the end of August in order to fulfil fixtures. Therefore, if possible, we want to do everything we can to ensure these remain for the time being, whilst we await to receive further Government and LTA updates on the Covid 19 Virous. However, we fully realise that even if social distancing measures were to be lifted at some point during the Summer, that for some clubs and/or Individuals and for whatever reasons including social distancing, they would still not wish to fulfil any fixtures. To this end, should a club now wish to withdraw from any of the Mixed and/or Vets Leagues, then please feel free to drop us an e mail and we will withdraw your team without any penalties.
- In terms of entry fees being refunded for Wilson Sandford, during a recent call with other Counties in regard to National Leagues and their own doubles Leagues it is apparent, that many of the Counties are encouraging their clubs to hold their entry fees as a credit for their respective Winter Doubles Season.
. The rationale is twofold: –
- It reduces the administration needed to process all refunds
- The County/s will ultimately lose money. Every transaction will cost a minimum of 0.30p.
However, Tennis Sussex respect the rights of Clubs to request the return of any entry fees paid and will honour our obligations in this respect! However, should a request for funds to be returned not be forthcoming, then we will presume Clubs wish to hold funds as a credit for the Winter.
Please also note, The LTA now has dedicated coronavirus pages for venues, coaches and players, as well as FAQ pages in relation to competitions for players. All LTA coronavirus information is accessible at www.lta.org.uk/coronavirus. The direct link to the FAQs for officials can be found here.
In the meantime, thank you all once again for your continued support and understanding. We will be in touch again soon with regards to Mixed and Seniors Events, but if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Finally, please also note that entries for the 2020/21 Winter Doubles will be opening after Easter and details will follow then.
Tennis Sussex – Leagues and Competitions Co-Ordinator and on behalf of Tennis Sussex Leagues and Competitions Committee.